Everybody should build a new home at least once in their lifetime. It’s GREAT fun. Here are a few tips you should know before speaking with a builder.
- How to get the best deal on a new home
- Who is looking out for your best interests and who’s looking out for the builder
- Locking in any incentives offered
- Making sure all the small details are documented
- Creating a budget for the design center
- Negotiating with the builder what they will and will not adjust
- Getting your lender’s costs paid for versus going with builder’s lender
- Finding a agent at no extra cost to you (aka free)
- Getting extra money for design center options
- How to make sure all your options are built into your home
- and more
Quick tips from Matthew
Building a new home is one of the most fun things you can do. It is however, VERY complicated with a LOT of variables you need to properly document. Always chat with a buyers agent about building a new home before you visit the builder. Negotiating with builders is much different from negotiating on resale and you can easily get lost in the details so it’s important you focus on (1) base price and (2) budget for the design center. Shoping your options, financing, and previewing resale homes first is a must. And lastly remember the builder’s agent represents the builder. They are contractually obligated to get the builder the most money. Your agent is contractually obligated to represent you. Ensuring you have a fair deal means equal representation for both parties. Builders love buyer’s agents and are happy to pay for yours on your behalf. We add a lot to the transaction and make for a smooth process for everybody involved.
Items referenced in Podcast
- Building a new home checklist make sure to print this off before you start your search for a home builder.